etc-overrides-non-etc configuration file model [Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian]

On Thu, 10 May 2012, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> Don Armstrong wrote:
> > The reason why it is relevant is because [...]
>
> I don't see how the following would make this comparison with rpm
> relevant.

This is debian-devel, and we're talking about configuration file
handling in Debian, which makes ucf and dpkg relevant.

> > Having configuration files in /etc and using ucf or similar
> > enables you to deal with this problem easily.
>
> Yes, you do need some tool improvements to be able to alert the user
> about changes.

Right. So for every package which does this, you have to check to see
whether a configuration file in /etc has had it's corresponding
non-etc configuration file changed, and then offer to merge them
together.

Thus, when you fully implement etc-overrides-non-etc, you have to
handle configuration files in non-etc *exactly* as if they were in etc
to start with. [Lets not even start with trying to figure out how you
would handle deleting a non-etc configuration file when there's a
difference between a non-existent file and an empty one.]

So there's basically no advantage to etc-overrides-non-etc unless one
hasn't bothered to implement proper configuration file handling.

Don Armstrong

--
Your village called.
They want their idiot back.