Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Thu, 10 May 2012, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> > You're pretty much just saying that dpkg and helpers like ucf have
> > implemented better functionality than rpm. I don't see how that's
> > relevant to the discussion.
>
> The reason why it is relevant is because

I don't see how the following would make this comparison with rpm relevant.

>  in the etc-overrides-lib
> model you are unable to trivially merge local changes with upstream or
> packaging changes unless you add additional logic in the postinst to
> handle etc-overrides-lib. Having configuration files in /etc and using
> ucf or similar enables you to deal with this problem easily.

Yes, you do need some tool improvements to be able to alert the user
about changes. This has been mentioned before. I don't think this would
be hard to add though, and not overall harder than what is already
implemented for traditional conffile handling; this is not a fundamental
problem with the etc-overrides-lib model.

And as also mentioned before, the include option should reduce the
number of cases where you need to do 3-way merging.