Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

On 10/05/2012 21:12, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Thu, 10 May 2012, Jean-Christophe Dubacq wrote:
>> I do not know about trivially merging changes in the
>> etc-overrides-lib model, but in the current model, I am presented
>> with the dpkg prompt about conffiles for some programs where I added
>> (or changed) only one line (off the top of my head: only the servers
>> list in roundcube, for example), and dpkg does not propose to merge
>> the two files: I am either stuck with keeping my old file, taking
>> the new, or using a shell.
>
> This is because dpkg's conffile support currently does not do what ucf
> can do. Presumably this will be addressed eventually, but packages
> where this will be a significant problem are often already using ucf
> or similar.
>
>> All these things are interactive and prevent unattended upgrades
>> without disruption of services.
>
> It's basically not possible to have a non-interactive unattended
> upgrade without the possibility of interruptions of service without
> outside input as to the decisions that the package manager should be
> making. ucf and similar gets us closer, but at the end of the day,
> it's impossible to handle all possible configuration changes.

I meant: I test on one server, then replicate the upgrade on other
servers. dpkg is lacking in the merge department, and the fact that
there is no good possibility to keep one's local changes and only those
is simply not helping the user.

Sincerly,
--
Jean-Christophe Dubacq