Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

On 04/27/12 03:32, Adam Borowski wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 08:08:01PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 02:03:17PM -0400, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
>>> I believe Debian still supports running locally compiled kernels which
>>> do not depend on udev, and that some setups do not require udev either
>>> (not everyone use fibre channel).
>>
>> It is supported only in the sense that it is not yet impossible.
>>
>> Please don't ask anyone to spend time to avoid udev dependencies;
>> hotplugging is normal and udev is the proper way to handle all
>> devices the Linux kernel finds.

udev is just the reference implementation. mdev [part of busybox] can do
the same (modulo rules: it has a slightly simpler format that doesn't
provide exactly the same features (yet))

All you need is a netlink socket and a listener that understands the
kernel events coming in ...

They are even enumerated so you can choose to serialize them (which, in
general, is a good idea).

And I still haven't figured out what things you can do with
/sys/kernel/uevent_helper :)

> No udev dependencies in the userland are a good thing: this simplifies
> chroots, vservers, etc.
>
> No udev dependencies wrt handling real hardware are a waste of time, and
> complicate stuff.

on a vserver you might be able to work with a devtmpfs only, but using
mdev seems to work quite well too.

The only real dependency on udev is libudev/gudev, and that "only"
affects the Big Desktop Environments for now, as far as I can tell.

Take care,

Patrick