Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

On Thursday, April 26, 2012 10:05:02, Matthias Klumpp wrote:
> Hi!

:-)  Greetings.

> AFAIK systemd supports startup notifications, even in colour - at
> least it did this last time I tried (a few weeks ago)
> Maybe your systemd version is too old?
> (Quoting Lennart: "We now show the progress of fsck at boot on the
> console, again. We also show the much loved colorful [ OK ] status
> messages at boot again, as known from most SysV implementations.")
> Regards,
>     Matthias

Thanks -- this let me know to look further into it.

The manpage for systemd explains a good bit of this.

The default of passing 'quiet' to the kernel is also apparently picked up by
systemd, which then suppresses the daemon startup messages.  If 'quiet' is
removed, systemd gives colorized daemon startup messages, but this also makes
the kernel noisy.

The 'systemd.sysv_console=true' turns on on startup messages when the 'quiet'
option is used, however the startup messages don't seem to be the same as when
'quiet' is turned off, even when also passing 'systemd.log_color=true'.  I'll
investigate this further when I don't have something more pressing to do.

  -- Chris

--
Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle@coredump.us