Re: RFC: OpenRC as Init System for Debian

On Wednesday, April 25, 2012 08:52:59, Patrick Lauer wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> in the last months there have been many discussions about init systems,
> especially systemd. The current state seems to make no one really happy
> - the current debian init system is a bit minimal and doesn't even do
> stateful services in an elegant way (e.g. /etc/init.d/apache2 start;
> /etc/init.d/apache2 start).

After testing systemd some, I've now grown a new appreciation for the default
Debian init system -- because it gives visual notification of what's been
started, where systemd does not.  I'd like to know where OpenRC is in this
regard -- if it maintains visual notification at startup, that would be a
benefit it has that isn't currently mentioned at [1] AFAICT.

I think visual startup notification is significant.  Often enough I find error
notifications during startup which I can then track down and fix, and if this
information is hidden then startup errors might not get noticed.  :-/

[I do like that systemd can be loaded and you can choose when to turn it
on/off via passing 'init=/bin/systemd' to the booting kernel.  That and the
fast bootup time are nice.  Bootup time is not a significant benefit in my
case, as I'm using LUKS encryption with several long passwords to enter at
boot time.  :-P]

> What we offer you is a modern, slim, userfriendly init system with
> minimal dependencies. All you need is a C99 compiler and a posix sh!
> The list of features is long and tedious
> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC )
(Note to the reader: this is the same page as [1].)

Some feedback on the page above: in the first table comparing system startup
types there are markers for notes, e.g. "no[1]" concerning Read-Ahead, but the
expected note details after the table seem to be missing.

> Should you decide to switch (or just evaluate if switching is possible /
> makes sense) you'll get full support from us in migrating init scripts
> and figuring out all the nontrivial changes. Just visit us on IRC (
> #openrc on irc.freenode.net), send us a mail ( openrc@gentoo.org ) or
> meet us for a beer or two.

For others looking to evaulate:  at the tail end of [2] I found a link to the
OpenRC Git repository [3], along with more documentation on OpenRC and how to
migrate at [4].

[1] http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/OpenRC

[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenRC

[3] http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/openrc.git