Re: The future of non-dependency-based boot

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 09:01:55AM +0200, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:

> [Roger Leigh]
> > I can't see why not at first glance--it's done its job, so should no
> > longer be needed.
>
> It is still needed in two use cases.
>
>  1) Machine upgraded from Lenny where the migration was not done.
>     Either because it could not be done, or because the user choose
>     not to do it.
>
>  2) Machines switching to/from file-rc.

Sure, I can appreciate that we still need the upgrade logic.
But, do we need the debconf question?  Surely we can just
migrate unconditionally (or attempt to, at least).

(I don't know if you saw my mail regarding having done this
provisionally in git; I mentioned it on the pkg-sysvinit-devel
list and in #545976.  I was wanting to additionally ask you
how safe it would be to remove the is_unsafe_to_activate check
and just run insserv anyway, and rely on insserv to fail if
problems are found.)

Regards,
Roger

--