Re: [OT] NM vs. wicd (was: Re: On init in Debian)

On 2012-03-29 11:15:30 +0100 (+0100), Philip Hands wrote:
[...]
> I'd only use either to make flipping between wireless networks something
> where I don't need to keep the comandline incantations in my head
[...]

And indeed, I just "keep the commandline incantations in my head"
for ifupdown, wireless-tools, wpa_supplicant and friends with
reasonably flexible configurations. Roaming between known networks
works automatically, but sure when I want to connect to a new
wireless network I resort to scanning from the CLI to identify the
ESSID and then stuffing that into my config and restarting a few
things. I certainly wouldn't suggest it as a default for the Desktop
task, requires root privs among other issues, but there are
definitely still working solutions out there for those of us who
would rather wrestle with a manpage than some GUI (even a
curses-based one).
--
{ IRL(Jeremy_Stanley); WWW(http://fungi.yuggoth.org/); PGP(43495829);
WHOIS(STANL3-ARIN); SMTP(fungi@yuggoth.org); FINGER(fungi@yuggoth.org);