Re: NM without X

On Fri, 2012-03-23 at 16:23 +0100, Josselin Mouette wrote:

> > Same problem seems to apply to gconf and its successor(s).
>
> Aaaaah yes of course. Because gconftool(1) and gsettings(1) never worked
> at all.

I have tried gconftool before:
gconftool
Run 'gconftool --help' to see a full list of available command line
options.

gconftool --help etc...

Example:
gconftool --get
Must specify a key or keys to get

Looks like you are expected to do the configuration out of the blue??
You have no idea of what is set already, what the defaults are, etc.
You don't get the chance to use any kind of editor. And where is the
configuration stored? Do you consider this a good CLI user interface??

And for gsettings:
gsettings
Usage:
  gsettings COMMAND [ARGS...]
etc.
gsettings help get
Usage:
  gsettings get SCHEMA[:PATH] KEY

Same story.

The man pages are not very informative either.

> > A side question: Why does not all applications (X or not) needing
> > internet work with ifupdown, only with NM??
>
> Because ifupdown doesn’t do a tenth of what modern applications and
> computers need.

Then why can't the X default be the same as in the console, as Michal
Čihař pointed out in another reply:

"All you need is to read the documentation and adjust setup to your
needs. There is no one default setup which would fit all."

I have not manually configured NM to work under X (except commenting out
the /etc/network/interfaces settings to enable NM to work. BTW: Why does
it not work _with_ these settings enabled?)