Re: NM without X

Le vendredi 23 mars 2012 à 14:16 +0100, Svante Signell a écrit :
> Regarding configuration of different tools, clicking here and there is
> becoming more like the M$ world.

If any kind of GUI makes you think of Microsoft, there’s not much we can
do for you.

> There you never know where the
> configuration information is stored, and if you happen to know you
> cannot edit a configuration file, since you need a graphical
> configuration tool to do any changes.

Well, you’re talking about Windows, right? Because none of these claims
apply to widespread Linux tools. The worst we have are XML files, which
are still editable, and sqlite/bdb/gvdb files which are not, for
performance reasons, but for which simple text frontends exist.

> Same problem seems to apply to gconf and its successor(s).

Aaaaah yes of course. Because gconftool(1) and gsettings(1) never worked
at all.

> Where have the tools/services/programs that
> use a simple text file for configuration gone?

Dunno. In your ~/.config and ~/.local directories maybe?

> A side question: Why does not all applications (X or not) needing
> internet work with ifupdown, only with NM??

Because ifupdown doesn’t do a tenth of what modern applications and
computers need.

--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :