Re: On init in Debian

]] Svante Signell

> On Wed, 2012-03-21 at 14:44 +0100, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> > ]] Svante Signell
> > > Regarding who is expert or not, can the people who considers themselves
> > > as such (others shouldn't bother) do a _scientific_ comparison of the
> > > three alternatives with respect to important features. First step would
> > > be to write down which aspects are important, and continue from there.
> > > Also, practical experiments are needed to verify statements made.
> >
> > I'd rather work on making systemd better and a better init system for
> > Debian than to satisfy some academic desire for a comparison of init
> > systems.
> How on earth would anybody be able to make a decision if there are no
> comparisons between the alternatives available?

It could be as simple as «the most popular/the one which people actually
ship units/jobs for is the one we'll move to».

> [...] This could be a useful GSoC task.

Given there's no code to write in such a report, I don't think it'd be
appropriate for gsoc.

> This would be much more intersting than writing a
> systemd-to-initscript converter.

This I disagree with, Debian doesn't work by people sitting down,
writing papers and then agreeing on a course of action.  Debian works,
mostly, by people putting in effort and then documenting how others can
solve the same or similar problems.

Tollef Fog Heen