Re: On init in Debian

On 03/16/2012 06:14 PM, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> * We could require every package that provides a service that needs to be
>   started by init to support both sysvinit and upstart or systemd. However,
>   given the realities of Debian development, this would probably mean
>   that one of them would be badly tested, and therefore likely to be buggy.
> * We could try to have a tool to automatically convert an upstart or systemd
>   service configuration into a sysvinit init.d script. I have no idea if that
>   is really feasible, but if it worked for most packages, we could probably
>   live with the others requiring some manual work.

<disclaimer>I know almost nothing about systemd</disclaimer>

I'd like people to think twice before opt-in for systemd. I just
taked with a friend working for redhat, and he told me how much
he hates it. He told me that if *anything* goes wrong in the boot
process, then basically, you're stuck, because the next thing will
be waiting forever. That's basically truth with any event based
init, and maybe we're just fine with just dependency booting.

In French we say: "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien"... :)

If anyone who knows systemd can comment on the above, that'd be great.

Thomas