Re: On init in Debian

Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> writes:
> On 03/17/2012 08:20 PM, Marco d'Itri wrote:
>> On Mar 17, Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org> wrote:

>>> Have you noticed that both myself and Phil Hands took the decision to
>>> write a sysv init lib, to avoid code duplication? That alone is a good
>>> thing, no?

>> It's not, because the goal should be to deprecate init scripts like
>> other distributions did.

> No. The goal should be to have something which is easy to debug.

I don't agree.  I'm happy to trade frequency of problems for more
difficult debugging in the rare cases that problems still happen.  In
other words, provided that a new solution exposed a much smaller surface
that *could* be buggy, I'm happy for debugging problems still remaining to
be somewhat more difficult.

> Shell scripts are easy to debug, even via a serial console.

I also don't agree with this, for what it's worth.