Re: debian-multimedia.org considered harmful

On 03/19/2012 01:09 PM, Romain Beauxis wrote:
> 2012/3/18 Thomas Goirand <zigo@debian.org>:
>
>> On 03/18/2012 08:53 AM, Romain Beauxis wrote:
>>
>>> It's a cliche comparison but still, CSS decryption is the knife and
>>> DMCA is the murder; the fact that murder is illegal does not imply
>>> that knives are.
>>>
>> Well, the whole concept of DMCA is to make knives illegal!
>> Please read a bit more about it before making such wrong statement here.
>>
> That was a cliche, indeed. The main point remains: does using
> libdvdcss, for instance, for watching a DVD using a multimedia player
> installed in millions of other computers qualify as an "circumvention
> of technological barriers for using a digital good in certain ways
> which the rightsholders do not wish to allow."?

Providing libdvdcss may be thought as providing others with a tool
that can be used to do illegal copies of DVDs (which the DMCA forbids).
This has nothing to do with using libdvdcss for watching a DVD that
you bought, which libdvdcss makes possible as well.

If that was only me, I'd say fuck the DMCA, and let's provide it in Debian.
But I'm not the only one, and others in Debian think differently. It took
me a few months to understand it, but now I do, and I respect their view
which is that Debian isn't the place to do such activism.

> Rightsholders
> certainly wish to allow DVDs owners to watch them privately...

But they do not wish anyone to make illegal copies. libdvdcss makes it
possible to do both, and that's the issue.

> As I was reading recently, it's always good to remember that law is a
> liberal art degree, not an engineering degree :-)

That's unfortunately right!

> I think this is probably enough OT from me on this thread, sorry for
> the digression..

I don't think that's off-topic. :)

Thomas