Re: Quilt patch for patching things in the debian folder

On Wed, 07 Mar 2012, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> I've just seen an (ugly) instance of many quilt patches in
> debian/patches that are patching things inside the debian/ folder. I am
> wondering if it would be wise to forbid this entirely, and write about
> it in the policy (maybe it is there already?). There's no sane reason
> why this would happen: our package_<version>.debian.tar.gz should come
> patched already, and shouldn't need any quilt patch.
> Thoughts anyone? Is there reasons why this would be a valid way to do
> things?

It's already caught by lintian as an error:

In any case it's definitely not a good idea and it breaks when you use 3.0

I don't know of any valid usage of such a feature. Even when derivatives
want different packaging rules, we have a proper interface for this
and it's dpkg-vendor.

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer