Re: Quilt patch for patching things in the debian folder

On 03/07/2012 05:34 PM, Neil Williams wrote:
> Not within Debian uploads and buildd's, true, but there are good reasons
> for this to remain technically possible for derivatives. The ability for
> someone downstream of Debian to patch debian/control[.in]

Our policy doesn't apply to derivatives (they can respect it if they want,
but they don't have to).

As for debian/control, I would prefer to use substitution variables, and
I would avoid to use a debian/control.in (unless maybe, if you need to
remove a binary from the build process entirely, or such more radical
changes to the packaging, but I never met such case).

On 03/07/2012 05:34 PM, Neil Williams wrote:
> but there
> are problems when a rebuild wants to / has to remove certain files from
> the packaging.

Well, that's where I believe that a debian/foo.in is a good way!

On 03/07/2012 05:34 PM, Neil Williams wrote:
> There are other ways of doing this but as it will remain necessary for
> someone to modify files in debian/ for a customised / embedded rebuild
> of any package in Debian, is it preferable to require this to be done
> using sed and awk or to allow a clean patch-based mechanism which is a
> lot easier for the relevant Debian maintainers to understand?

Patching things in debian/* depending on some conditions is a lot
different than what I was talking about, which was some quilt
patches in debian/patches that were unconditionally applied.

So, let me rephrase:

Should the *unconditional* patching of things in debian/* by a
quilt patch in debian/patches be explicitly forbidden by the policy?

Thomas