Re: Quilt patch for patching things in the debian folder

On Wed, 7 Mar 2012 10:52:57 +0100
Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Mar 2012, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> > I've just seen an (ugly) instance of many quilt patches in
> > debian/patches that are patching things inside the debian/ folder. I am
> > wondering if it would be wise to forbid this entirely, and write about
> > it in the policy (maybe it is there already?). There's no sane reason
> > why this would happen: our package_<version>.debian.tar.gz should come
> > patched already, and shouldn't need any quilt patch.
>
> In any case it's definitely not a good idea and it breaks when you use 3.0
> (quilt).
>
> I don't know of any valid usage of such a feature. Even when derivatives
> want different packaging rules, we have a proper interface for this
> and it's dpkg-vendor.

Quick question, therefore, what is the method of using dpkg-vendor to
modify a postinst which uses a grep option which is not supported by
busybox?

Or a method for removing a single line from a .install file?

It would seem to require a lot of calls to dpkg-vendor and a lot of
extra boilerplate in maintainer scripts if every such call has to be
wrapped in a dpkg-vendor conditional.

Even with such calls, I don't see how to remove a single line from
a .install file using dpkg-vendor. (Typically this is necessary when
the line in question contains a wildcard but the modified build means
that no files can exist which match said wildcard.)

--

Neil Williams