Re: Quilt patch for patching things in the debian folder

On Wed, Mar 07, 2012 at 10:52:57AM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> It's already caught by lintian as an error:
> http://lintian.debian.org/tags/patch-modifying-debian-files.html
>
> In any case it's definitely not a good idea and it breaks when you use 3.0
> (quilt).
>
> I don't know of any valid usage of such a feature. Even when derivatives
> want different packaging rules, we have a proper interface for this
> and it's dpkg-vendor.

Not exactly the same thing, but for backporting for various releases we
(NeuroDebian) quite often have to adjust the Debian packaging itself,
but still want to have everything stored in a single source package.
And we do store these patches in debian/patches. However, they are not
applied at build-time. Instead we have a backporting script that
generates a new source package with the changes applied (using dedicated
per-release series files). I submitted that script as a potential
addition to the devscripts package some time ago.

Michael

--
Michael Hanke
http://mih.voxindeserto.de