Re: picking packages from repos was: debian-multimedia.org considered harmful

Andreas Tille:
> On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 04:42:50PM +0100, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> > In summary, I can only advise everyone against enabling that
> > repository on any machine.
>
> If I would have time to become a pkg-multimedia member I would try to
> establish installing multimedia applications via metapackages build be
> the Blends framework.  I would most probably drop some file
>
>    /etc/apt/preferences.d/01-disable-dmo.pref
>
> in multimedia-config metapackage (where all other metapackages usually
> depend from).  This would enable those users who really know what they
> are doing picking singular packages via well defined preferences from
> d.m.o if needed and prevent users who blindly inject "random sources"
> inside their sources.list from killing their system.
Hi Andreas,

could you point me to the necessary documentation, please? I'd like to enable
the non-free repo, but only pick a few packages from it. How can I do this?

This would also be useful to pick only a few packages from unstable, e.g.
those that I maintain.

Regards,

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro