Re: Unofficial repositories on 'debian' domains

On Tue, 6 Mar 2012, Jonas Smedegaard <dr@jones.dk> wrote:
> > In other words, if not for Christian Marillat's work, your customer
> > would either be unable to do this on Debian, or, assuming enough
> > technical knowledge, have to beat upstream packages into working.
>
> ...or use another source which plays nicer with Debian, e.g.
> backports.debian.org.

I don't believe that backports.debian.org attempts to solve any of the
problems that debian-multimedia solves.  In the past I've used Christian's
packages for playing video files produced by a mobile phone with file
extension .3gp and for writing mp4 files.  At the time the official Debian
packages didn't support such things.  I haven't recently tried either of those
operations on systems without Christian's packages installed so I don't know
if things have changed.

I have not experienced any serious problems with Christian's repository in
terms of upgrading systems either.

I'm glad that Christian does this, I know some people who would be buying
Windows systems if I didn't make their Linux systems do things that
Christian's packages support but which aren't supported by official packages.

I'm also glad that the people responsible for such decisions in Debian have
decided to take a hard line against patent infringing software - last time I
checked the Fedora people weren't as stringent which is a bad thing IMHO.  I
think it's good to encourage people to use the more free software even if they
are in a jurisdiction that doesn't support software patents and then give them
an option if they really want to do otherwise.