Re: debian-multimedia.org considered harmful, Was: Unofficial repositories on 'debian' domains

On 12-03-05 at 11:04pm, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 05, 2012 at 04:42:50PM +0100, Reinhard Tartler wrote:
> > In summary, I can only advise everyone against enabling that
> > repository on any machine.
>
> If I would have time to become a pkg-multimedia member I would try to
> establish installing multimedia applications via metapackages build be
> the Blends framework.  I would most probably drop some file
>
>    /etc/apt/preferences.d/01-disable-dmo.pref
>
> in multimedia-config metapackage (where all other metapackages usually
> depend from).  This would enable those users who really know what they
> are doing picking singular packages via well defined preferences from
> d.m.o if needed and prevent users who blindly inject "random sources"
> inside their sources.list from killing their system.

Please let us stop this deroute.

Yes, d-m.o is problematic, but so is potentially *any* package cocktail
involving unofficial packages.  Heck, even involving only official
packages but across well-tested-together repositories.

Let's not turn this into a witch hunt.

 - Jonas