Re: upstart: please update to latest upstream version

Matthias Klumpp, le Mon 27 Feb 2012 18:42:39 +0100, a écrit :
> 2012/2/27 Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org>:
> > Matthias Klumpp, le Mon 27 Feb 2012 17:45:14 +0100, a écrit :
> >> Maybe interesting to read in this upstart vs. systemd vs. sysvinit
> >> discussion is the comparison of these three init systems:
> >> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/why.html
> >> Of course, Lennart Poettering did this, but the points mentioned are
> >> valid. (Although the list is a bit outdated, at least on upstart's
> >> side)
> >
> > What is Lennart's point?  That it does everything that are
> > traditionnally done in other packages?  I don't see what point that
> > makes.  Just an instance: "Console and keyboard setup".  Great, yet
> > another set of keymaps?
> No, "console and keyboard __setup__", he's not establishing another
> keymap set, it's just the setup part.
> And systemd is very modular, you can always split out parts you don't like.

Ok, that still does not make a point: we *already* have scripts to do
a lot of what is listed, so yet another implementation does not make a
point, to my mind.

Note: I'm not saying that systemd is bad, I'm just saying that the array
is completely unfair: yes, initscripts don't do a lot of that. Simply
because there is already software that do these.

Samuel