Re: upstart: please update to latest upstream version

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 03:24:47PM +0200, Riku Voipio wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 01:12:08PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > The meme that systemd is better than upstart because it doesn't depend
> > on a shell is poppycock.  No one has done any benchmarking to support
> > the claim that /bin/sh is a bottleneck for upstart (particularly not on
> > Debian or Ubuntu, where /bin/sh is dash, not bash);

> I have. Not on debian, but on debianish system with dash. And the result
> was that shellscripts are indeed the bottleneck.  We still did convert to
> upstart since we believed it would allow us to cut down the amount of
> shell scripts.  The event based architecture however forced much more
> shell scripting[1] that made the boot time improvement much less than
> hoped.

Interesting to know, thanks.  Was this done in a head-to-head comparison
with the systemd "no shell" boot?

> [1] stuff like this:

> -snip-
> post-start script
>     # wait until daemon is ready
>     timeout=6
>     while [ ! -e /var/run/cups/cups.sock ]; do
>         sleep 0.5
>         timeout=$((timeout-1))
> -snip-

Oh dear, you've managed to find the worst upstart job in Ubuntu ;)

FWIW, this is entirely due to a bug in upstart upstream which I'm planning
on fixing for this Ubuntu cycle, precisely to be able to kill off that awful
script.

If you have other stuff *like* this, I'd be interested to see it.  That
particular upstart job is needed only because of peculiarities of how cups
starts up.