Re: upstart: please update to latest upstream version

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012, Stephan Seitz <stse+debian@fsing.rootsland.net> wrote:
> We are talking about a minute or so.

If a million users spend a minute waiting for a system to boot that is 16,667
hours of wasted time which is equivalent to almost 9 years of paid work for a
40 hour week and a few weeks of holiday per year!

> When they are annoyed, it is not
> because of the reboot time but because they have to save and close all
> their applications.

This problem is being addressed to some extent.  Modern web browsers offer to
reopen all previous windows and tabs when restarted.  IMHO a desktop
environment would ideally be able to open everything again such that a reboot
wouldn't be an issue that a user would care about.  I'd like to have
OpenOffice save a copy of changed documents on logout and load them again on
login so that my change history is preserved.  I'd like to have command line
sessions reopen to the same CWD and the same screen contents.

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012, Adam Borowski <kilobyte@angband.pl> wrote:
> With recent improvements, booting itself is pretty fast.  But then, you get
> the {x,g,k}dm screen, log in, and have to wait way longer than the boot
> itself took -- and on slow machines, it can be a matter of over a minute.
> Worse, you don't have a second $BEVERAGE to get, so you need to have to
> actually wait.

One of the design features of systemd is that it can be run by the user.  So
you could have a login to GNOME or KDE launch a copy of systemd for the
desktop environment services which would improve the login times.  I haven't
used GNOME for quite a while, but the KDE login time on my system is quite
long.