Re: How to tell users that ia32-libs will go away

* Bastian Blank <waldi@debian.org> [120210 14:47]:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 01:00:50PM +0100, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> >       Needing multi-arch enabled (with all the dangers of getting the
> > wrong packages installed
>
> Multi-arch enabled apt makes it hard to install the wrong ones. Also
> they are not wrong, because the machine in question can already use
> them.

Sorry, but you definitely use the wrong definition of "wrong" here.
Something can easily be installable without being what is supposed to be
installed.

> > just to have a suiteable kernel would be quite a burden.
>
> The -amd64 kernel in i386 arch is some sort of upgrade tool.

I think it is more than that. If it only was this it might have been
nice to have a different Package description then.

> With
> multi-arch it gets easier. Either the machine can run 64bit code, than
> it is irrelevant what packages are installed from which arch.

Wasting more disc space for multiple copies of the code, consuming more
RAM to keep them in memory, having non-working programs because some
support package is not available in the architecture and so on make it
quite relevant what architecture you install packages for (even without
considering the special case of systems that should be easily be packed
into a different machine later without needing too much modifications).

        Bernhard R. Link