Re: How to tell users that ia32-libs will go away

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 01:00:50PM +0100, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> From a user's point of view I'd really appreciate if that package could be
> kept.

It is a burden for the archive and other infrastructure.

>       Needing multi-arch enabled (with all the dangers of getting the
> wrong packages installed

Multi-arch enabled apt makes it hard to install the wrong ones. Also
they are not wrong, because the machine in question can already use
them.

>                                                                     just
> to have a suiteable kernel would be quite a burden.

The -amd64 kernel in i386 arch is some sort of upgrade tool. With
multi-arch it gets easier. Either the machine can run 64bit code, than
it is irrelevant what packages are installed from which arch. Or it
can't, then you don't need the amd64 kernel in the first place.

Bastian

--
Yes, it is written.  Good shall always destroy evil.
		-- Sirah the Yang, "The Omega Glory", stardate unknown