Re: How to tell users that ia32-libs will go away

* Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> [120210 14:45]:
> On Fri, 2012-02-10 at 13:00 +0100, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> > * Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> [120209 20:45]:
> > > There is a similar issue with linux-image-*-amd64, which I would
> > > definitely like to remove from i386 as soon as possible.  We have
> > > metapackages to help with this already, but we still need users to add
> > > amd64 as a foreign architecture before upgrading.
> >
> > >From a user's point of view I'd really appreciate if that package could be
> > kept. Needing multi-arch enabled (with all the dangers of getting the
> > wrong packages installed or the additional index files to download) just
> > to have a suiteable kernel would be quite a burden.
>
> No, multi-arch is the right way to do this.  If you can run an amd64
> kernel then you can also run amd64 userland packages.  Nothing will
> force you to install any of them, though.

But I have to download the whole index of them all the time and make
sure I do not accidentially disable multiarch (or forget that I must
keep it enabled, though not wanting any user space packages).

"Nothing will force you to install" might be correct. But if it is not
a personal computer, one might be forced to install some multi-arch
stuff to avoid anyone else installing some multi-arch package
accidentially without installing the required packages[1] to make them
work properly.

        Bernhard R. Link

[1]: There is still nothing planed to get the needed libnss modules
installed automatically when installing libc of a new installation,
is it?