Re: Comments on introducing a new Essential package: base-init?

On 09.02.2012 11:50, Bastian Blank wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 08:03:27PM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:
>> sysvinit is currently Essential.
>
> Why do we need an init as essential anyway? It is used in all real
> systems, but not chroots or other special systems. This makes it similar
> to the kernel, which does not even have a high priority.

I also think that simply dropping the Essential flag is how we should
address this. The priority of sysvinit would make sure that is installed
as the default init (similar to how we handle the default syslog daemon).

If it is a concern that people make accidentally uninstall their
/sbin/init and render their system un-booteable, we could add a warning
to postinst similar to how the kernel does it.

Or are there other reasons why sysvinit needs to be essential?

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?