Re: Comments on introducing a new Essential package: base-init?

On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 08:03:27PM +0000, Roger Leigh wrote:
> sysvinit is currently Essential.

Why do we need an init as essential anyway? It is used in all real
systems, but not chroots or other special systems. This makes it similar
to the kernel, which does not even have a high priority.

>                    where "init" is a virtual package provided by all
> packages providing /sbin/init.

The interface provided by sysvinit is much more then /sbin/init.

>               (I note that it currently has no depends other than
> a pre-depends on awk.)

And awk is not even a real package.

Bastian

--