Re: Linux 3.2 in wheezy

On Thu, 2012-02-02 at 09:29 +0200, Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) wrote:
[...]
> We tried the 2.6.32 VZ kernel on squeeze / wheezy / lucid / precise -
> and it works.

That's what I would expect, but it's good to know.

> We have a PPA[1] for our experimental packages too. We
> might run into bugs with some userspace things needing a newer kernel,
> but we haven't found anything yet. The big downside is also that we rely
> on the VZ project to release security updates and we have to be vigilant
> to update regularly.
>
> All the work that the above is causing (and to an extent the risk) makes
> me quite eager to move to LXC. If distributions like Debian and Ubuntu
> could continue supporting it it would be a different story, but it
> sounds like OpenVZ is a borderline hostile upstream who isn't interested
> in working with anyone, and that makes me want to move away even more.

In my experience the OpenVZ project is not at all hostile, but it does
have limited development resources.  Its primary stable branch is based
on the RHEL 6 kernel - which, despite being initially based on 2.6.32,
is now very different from 2.6.32.y.

Also, many of the improvements to container support in mainline Linux
are coming from OpenVZ developers.  It's just taking a long time to
implement that functionality in a way that's acceptable in mainline.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
Lowery's Law: