Re: "register" files in dpkg database programmatically? (was Re: How Debian Deals with Data)

On Mon, 2011-07-18 at 14:19 +0200, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 1:04 AM, Peter Samuelson wrote:
>
> > - Treat the file as though it were shipped in the package directly.
> >  This means it is removed on package upgrade, as well as on package
> >  removal.  This is very straightforward (append the filename to
> >  /var/lib/dpkg/info/{foo}.list), but perhaps not too useful.
>
> Do you have a use-case for this? I guess such files would need to be
> re-created on package upgrade and I'm not sure how useful this is.

This could be used for the original suggestion of fetching data and
placing it on the system, if the data came in any format that allowed
updates of existing data, then the other way would be used (data
persistent when upgraded). This functionality would be very useful for
the above use case.

Chris