Re: "register" files in dpkg database programmatically? (was Re: How Debian Deals with Data)

On Sat, 2011-07-16 at 17:12 +0200, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 4:48 PM, Peter Samuelson wrote:
>
> > It would be useful in any number of situations to be able
> > to "register" a file with dpkg: tell dpkg that a given package owns a
> > given file, so that it is automatically removed when the package is
> > removed or upgraded.  I can see this being used in many postinst
> > scripts, so as to simplify or eliminate the corresponding postrm.
>
> I have wanted this for a long time and would use it in
> clamav-unofficial-sigs if it were available. I'd want both registering
> and unregistering, since clamav-unofficial-sigs might need to remove
> some files. It would be used at both runtime and in maintainer
> scripts.

So a control file would do for this, I think packages should only be
able to register/unregister files from there own package, packages they
Replace, or files that are do not belong to any package. Otherwise this
feature could be abused.

Chris