Re: "register" files in dpkg database programmatically? (was Re: How Debian Deals with Data)

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 1:04 AM, Peter Samuelson wrote:

> - Treat the file as though it were shipped in the package directly.
>  This means it is removed on package upgrade, as well as on package
>  removal.  This is very straightforward (append the filename to
>  /var/lib/dpkg/info/{foo}.list), but perhaps not too useful.

Do you have a use-case for this? I guess such files would need to be
re-created on package upgrade and I'm not sure how useful this is.

> - Do not remove the file on package upgrade, but do remove it when
>  removing the package.

I would use this in clamav-unofficial-sigs.
Registration/de-registration would happen both at postinst time and
also runtime from a cron job.

--
bye,
pabs