Re: How Debian Deals with Data

Hi Christopher,

On 16.07.2011 00:20, Christopher Baines wrote:
> The actual package would just contain the rules and checksums for the
> files it tries to fetch, but not the data itself, I think of this as a
> symbolic package. This approach in my opinion, would make packaging
> applications like FlightGear much easier, and improve the user
> experience.

just as a random alternative idea (where other people may judge whether
it is a good idea or not): There might still be benefits of letting dpkg
handle the installation stuff, even if you don't want to have such a
large amount of data in the archives.

This eases maintenance, updates and clean removal of packages. For your
purpose it might be worth to consider a half baked solution. For example
you could provide a meta package [*] which builds a new binary package
on the installation site. Without knowing anything about FlightGear this
potentially seems a good solution to me. Your meta package could
download your stuff, apply some checksumming and then produce a new
binary package with the actual game data.

Take a look into the google-earth package for an example what I'm
thinking about. Their use case is of course different than yours, but
the idea is the same.

This binary package may ease installation, transportation and copying of
your game's data. By using some nifty dependencies along with
"Provides"/"Replaces" relationships you could even do some interesting
dependency magic there, although the direct usage of "dpkg" makes it a
bit tricky to benefit from it.

[*] please don't confuse my usage of "meta package" with its
archive-wide meaning for Debian here.

- --
with kind regards,
Arno Töll