Re: Anonymous read-only access and Vcs-* [Re: Alioth status update, take 3]

On 11-06-06 at 09:18am, Sven Hoexter wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 08:17:03AM +0200, Guillem Jover wrote:
> > On Sun, 2011-06-05 at 20:56:25 +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > > The majority of published references to VCS repositories are URLs
> > > for anonymous access.  Also regular Alioth users will be more
> > > aware of the Alioth reconfiguration than others, and will know
> > > that they need to change the read-write/push URLs.  Therefore I
> > > think it is more important that the URLs for anonymous access
> > > continue to work.
> >
> > I concur. In addition there's way less committers (with their
> > respective clones, chekouts, etc) than current anonymous cloned
> > trees.
>
> In general I'd agree but I think it's too late now to switch back. I
> for one already started to change Vcs-* fields, fix checkouts etc.
> where needed. Other people did so aswell. My guess is that we're in
> the middle of this nice epic chaos and switching back now would make
> it even worse. On the other hand there are all these packages in
> stable with broken Vcs fields now. Still not nice but assuming that
> most contributions will be based on what's in unstable that might be
> bearable.

I think that switching back even when some have already adapted is still
the best approach (if technically sensible to revert at all!):

I don't mean to punish early adopters, but places with links difficult
to change should in my opinion take priority, as early adopters likely
can also early revert.

Regards,

 - Jonas