Re: Anonymous read-only access and Vcs-* [Re: Alioth status update, take 3]

On Sun, 2011-06-05 at 21:15 +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] Bernd Zeimetz
>
> | On 05/26/2011 07:54 AM, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> | > ]] Scott Kitterman

> | > No.
> | >
> | > And while I apologise for the problems we've had with the migration, I'd
> | > like to ask people to just accept some of the changes we've made even
> | > though you think it makes URLs uglier.  They're done to avoid cyclic
> | > dependencies between services.
> |
> | Please explain that.
>
> vasks has the copy of the repositories.
>
> wagner NFS mounts the repositories read-only.
>
> vasks is {git,svn,…}.debian.org (so ssh://git.d.o/ continues working),
> making svn:// and similar protocols work requires TCP proxying.
[...]

The majority of published references to VCS repositories are URLs for
anonymous access.  Also regular Alioth users will be more aware of the
Alioth reconfiguration than others, and will know that they need to
change the read-write/push URLs.  Therefore I think it is more important
that the URLs for anonymous access continue to work.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings