On 30.04.2011 15:24, Mehdi Dogguy wrote:
> On 04/30/2011 03:16 PM, Arno Töll wrote:
>> Perhaps that's a not a particular fair demand. See, crucial for
>> Raphaels idea as I read it is "official" support to users using a
>> rolling distribution. For both, user support and bug fixing of
>> course.
>>

> In this particular case, the "official" bit won't change anything for
> developers. It's only a buzz word to attract more users, IMHO.

But an important one, since the whole rolling concept is based on the
fact to attract users.

> It will
> use packages from unstable, as testing does right now. So, if a bug is
> found in a package provided by "rolling", it's very likely to be found
> in sid as well.

Right, maybe I should have been more precise. Read it as: Encourage
maintainers to fix (important) bugs in a (more) timely manner (if
possible). I admit this is the most important objection most of you seem
to have, opposing the idea.

> Who said that? which documentation are you talking about? Whoever told
> you that is wrong.

Just skip through several official FAQs, documentations, guidelines and
so on. All those sources strongly indicate to use nothing but stable if
in doubt. The whole concept of a rolling distributions is to attract
users /not/ being satisfied with the concept stable has to offer,
because of several random reasons you might know like "too old software"
and so on.

On the other hand one should be very careful to suggest people in
official documentation to use something which has not evidently proven
to work over long term. Maybe some compromise would be appropriate here.

- --
with kind regards,
Arno Töll
GnuPG Key-ID: 0x9D80F36D