Hi,

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011, Marc 'HE' Brockschmidt wrote:
> Heya,
>
> Raphael, it would be so great to reply to messages in single mails
> instead of squeezing (are you release-themed, or what?) all of your
> answers into one mail. I'm really tired of chasing a specific answer
> From you through the whole thread.

I thought it was a good practice to reduce the overall amount of mails and
to be able to avoid too many repetitions or references to other mails.

> Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> writes:
> > But I don't plan to work on any of those if the project does not agree to
> > promote testing to something that can be advertised as usable by end-users
> > and as something that we strive to support on a best-effort basis.
>
> What does a best-effort basis mean?  I cannot imagine a use case where this
> might make sense, and I haven't found any presentation of one by you.

"best-effort" characterizes the way we contribute to Debian, it means
the maintainer should do its best to ensure his packages in testing are
in a good shape. There might be times when he fails due to lack of time
but then he should try to get help.

Right now, a maintainer can legitimately ignore testing until freeze
because Debian does not support testing, testing is just a tool to prepare
a release. I want to change that and never hear that objection again.
I want that new maintainers that join Debian know up-front that
their task involves managing packages in stable and in rolling
(and in frozen should that happen).

> Who is going to install a "rolling" release instead of "testing"?

If we change our documentation to say that rolling can be used by anyone
who likes a constantly evolving distribution (and can live with the
occasionnal hiccup) and that we will do our best to support it, then the
public of testing/rolling will be larger.

And a larger public, in particular in that set of users who likes bleeding
edge stuff, is likely to mean more efficient testing of packages and
possibly more contributors.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer