On 04/30/2011 09:45 AM, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

Who is going to install a "rolling" release instead of "testing"?

If we change our documentation to say that rolling can be used by
anyone who likes a constantly evolving distribution (and can live
with the occasionnal hiccup) and that we will do our best to support
 it, then the public of testing/rolling will be larger.

And a larger public, in particular in that set of users who likes
bleeding edge stuff, is likely to mean more efficient testing of
packages and possibly more contributors.

Your proposal if full of optimism and good intentions, and I appreciate
that. But, I really think that:

1) it's going to kill stable for reasons already mentioned.
2) you won't be able to bring as much users as you tend to think because
one the big problems of testing right now is not the freeze but the lack
of installer. If you want to get more users for testing, please do
contribute to d-i. We need a lot of manpower and new ideas to implement
there. (I'm a big fan of d-i team already because they're doing much
work, but they do need help).

Users are not interested in installing stable and then upgrade to
testing. Why should they bother? there are other distros out there that
offer much better installers¹ (in terms of user interface and ease of
use). Not to say that we don't even have official llive-cds yet…

¹: although, I do personally prefer Debian's installer.

"rolling" won't fix those problems. And, saying that it'll be supported
on a 'best-effort basis', it doesn't ring any bell to me, tbh. We all
already do that, except a few (I don't even know who they are). Those
won't change their behavior because it's already 'on best-effort basis'
for them too :)

Regards,

--
Mehdi Dogguy مهدي الدڤي