> Right now, a maintainer can legitimately ignore testing until freeze
> because Debian does not support testing, testing is just a tool to
> prepare a release. I want to change that and never hear that objection
> again.  I want that new maintainers that join Debian know up-front that
> their task involves managing packages in stable and in rolling (and in
> frozen should that happen).

I'm not sure that this is going to be solved by any sort of change along
these lines.  Those objections usually strike me as more "you're not the
boss of me" sort of objections against doing something that they don't
want to bother with, rather than something based on a philosophical
understanding of testing.  I suspect that, after an introduction of a
rolling distribution, that same objection would just morph into "I'm not
interested in supporting rolling."

I think this is a fairly small portion of our developer base, and most
developers do care about testing and pursue issues, particularly when
informed of them by the excellent mail messages letting people know that
packages haven't migrated as expected.  Most of the current failure to fix
problems in testing is probably more because people just haven't noticed
(or because the problem is hard, as it is with a couple of my packages
right now), not because they're blowing off testing because they think it
only matters during a freeze.