On 29/04/2011 14:21, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 10:55:01PM +0000, Philipp Kern wrote:
>> On 2011-04-28, Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:
>>> But I don't plan to work on any of those if the project does not agree to
>>> promote testing to something that can be advertised as usable by end-users
>>> and as something that we strive to support on a best-effort basis.
>>
>> It's already the case that you can go and send a mail to debian-release@ that
>> package X needs to be put into testing more quickly than the set urgency or
>> asking for permission to upload to t-p-u to fix bugs if the upload is
>> entangled.  And apart from that it's supported on a best-effort basis already
>> with bug fixes trickling from unstable into it and critical stuff being
>> fixed faster.
>
> Sure. But the procedures you mention above all require work from the
> maintainer + the release team, while they would require work only from
> the maintainer in the (hypothetical) "rolling" scenario. Under heavy
> load periods for the release team---not only freezes, but also periods
> with a huge stack of transitions to be completed---the presence of an
> extra participant might easily become a bottleneck inducing more work
> (and stress) on everybody shoulders and more delays.

In the (hypothetical) "rolling" scenario¹, one should still follow the
same procedure to get the package speedy-migrated (or uploaded to r-p-u,
if applicable). So, I don't see where you're winning. I could be missing
something here though.

¹: which has, still, to be defined clearly.

> […]
>
> So yes, you're right that _technically_ we can achieve the same with
> current procedures, but I argue that the underlying procedure doesn't
> scale (which is unsurprising, given it's been designed for a different
> purpose).

It doesn't mean that it's a problem. Well, yes, it can be enhanced… but
I'd say we didn't see periods where all Release Team members were really
that busy to not be able to add an age-days hint or approve a t-p-u
upload. I'm not sure we will see that day. And the same issue remains true
with rolling scenario (existence of that bottleneck).

Having that said, avoiding bottlenecks when possible is better.

Regards,

--
Mehdi Dogguy مهدي الدڤي
http://dogguy.org/