On Tue, Apr 05, 2011 at 04:59:02PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> ifdown should not *need* to know how the interface was brought up.
> And given that many people apparently like ifup because they can
> change the active configuration without it interfering, it would be
> a good thing if ifdown could cope with that too.  (It can do, within
> some limits.  But in general, it cannot.)

In complicated cases, ifdown will definitely need to know how the
interface was brought up. The configuration allows specification of
arbitrary commands which may not be react well by simply pulling the
interface down without running the specified {pre-,,post-}down commands.

That being said, ifdown does have a --force option if you must.

> > > They don't even provide the useful feature of copying the
> > > configuration that was applied, in case it is subsequently changed or
> > > removed in /etc/network/interfaces.
> >
> > They don't have to.
>
> So I just imagined that ifdown completely fails if this is done?

This might be a nice feature but I'm not sure how feasible it is. It is
possible that a user may change the configuration to adjust what happens
when a currently running interface is brought down. When they run ifdown
on that interface, they may be confused when the old configuration is
used to bring down the interface simply because that was the
configuration used to bring up the interface.