Hello,

On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 13:30:53 +0100
Ben Hutchings <ben@decadent.org.uk> wrote:

> Why is that necessary?  So far as I can see, the purpose of the state
> files is:
> - Let ifup refuse to reapply a configuration (even if it failed to
>   apply it in the first place)
> - Allow ifdown to take shortcuts, which often don't work

Don't know what do you mean when you say 'shortcuts' and how they don't
work. You can use multiple configurations in your config file, and do

  $ ifup eth1=home

Then state file will have a record eth1=home, so ifdown eth1 will know
which configuration to use to take the interface down.

> They don't even provide the useful feature of copying the
> configuration that was applied, in case it is subsequently changed or
> removed in /etc/network/interfaces.

They don't have to.

--
WBR, Andrew