On Sun, Apr 03, 2011 at 07:24:36AM +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 6:58 AM, Felipe Sateler <fsateler@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > The main problem I see is that NM likes to take interfaces down when
> > upgrading. This is a problem if upgrading remotely.
>
> Probably using glib/gobject etc is a no-no for a package that needs to
> be in base.
>
> The main problem I see is that the design of NM is wrong™ and the
> upstream maintainers do not see it that way.
>
> The upgrading/restart issue was partially fixed, I read that wired
> connections without authentication are not killed any more.

While it's probably ok in some cases to restart connections (wired or
wireless), it's broken in a lot of cases.  For instance it's definitely
not OK to restart a connection that's running over VPN, since that kills
the connection without being able to restart it without user interaction
(at least for connections that uses auth-solutions such as SecureID).

Same goes for any authenticated connections when a password safe isn't
in use (not everyone is happy to store their passwords on-disk -- in
some cases it might not even be permitted by IT department policies,
etc.).

With all these flaws I still use NM.  It works fairly well, but I curse
every time I do an upgrade and NM happens to be in the list of packages
that is upgraded.

[snip]

Regards: David
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@debian.org> /) Rime on my window           (\
//  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   //  Diamond-white roses of fire //