Re: Back to technical discussion? Yes! (was: network-manager as default? No!)

On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 06:06:28PM +0530, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> Le lundi 04 avril 2011 à 16:19 +0400, Dmitry E. Oboukhov a écrit :
> > User MUST study each OS he uses.
>
> No, he must not. The OS must adapt to the user’s needs, not the
> opposite.
>
> > If he doesn't want he will be
> > forced to pay the other people who will tune his (user's) system.
>
> A lot of users actually pay for that indeed. I don’t see this as a
> problem, especially since it gets me to eat every day.

By the way, I am glad that you spoke your mind so clearly. IMO, this
agrees very much with the trends in free software development that
solidified in the last decade: the development of popular free
software is now concentrated within big corporations and is done in
groups of well paid fulltimers. Those who still believe in the
openness of this process must disillusion themselves: nowadays most of
the development is driven by marketing. It is not surprising that
marketing places an emphasis on simplicity to the detriment of
configurability.

Such marketing goals also explain why these groups usually agressively
fight for domination. Nevertheless, I honestly hope that Debian, with
its huge collection of free software, will contunue to provide freedom
of choice to all types of its users, including those who disagree with
marketing goals of big corporations.

--
Stanislav