Re: Back to technical discussion? Yes! (was: network-manager as default? No!)

On ma, 2011-04-04 at 16:19 +0400, Dmitry E. Oboukhov wrote:
> User MUST study each OS he uses. If he doesn't want he will be
> forced to pay the other people who will tune his (user's) system.

I dispute your assertion that our users must study the operating system
we build for them.

I not only dispute it, I counter-assert that we should not require
typical users to study anything much to be able to do typical things on
their Debian machines. Exactly what constitutes a typical user and
typical things to do is open to some interpretation and discussion.

> I'm not a guru, but I don't understand why Debian must be broken to
> please a user who doesn't want to read anything.

You're insulting again. Please stop.

Nobody here is interested in breaking Debian. We're interested in
improving it. As part of the process, we propose things that may or may
not be good ideas. If we can't do that without insults, we're much less
likely to have a constructive discussion, and we'll definitely have
fewer ideas proposed. That is a good way of making sure Debian will not
get better.

If you don't like, say, Network Manager, that's fine. Nobody is asking
you to like it. If you want to oppose NM replacing ifupdown, that's also
fine, but do it by explaining why it is a bad choice to make, without
insults, pointing out problems, and making a clear, cohesive argument.

It's a question of how you express your opinion, not whether it's an
acceptable opinion.

--
Blog/wiki/website hosting with ikiwiki (free for free software):
http://www.branchable.com/