Re: Make Unicode bugs release critical?

On Fr, 11 Feb 2011, Roger Leigh wrote:
> Um, no need to be rude.

Well, you started with "throw TeX into the bin!" (cum grano salis)
The only possible answer to that is mine. Or shutting up and ignoring
that kind of rants from your side.

> insults is a step too far.  I haven't said anything that could justify
> it, other than the fact that you disagree with my /opinion/.

Very simple: replaceing *tex* wiht *xetex* will break existing
documents. And that is a no-go. That is TeX world.
You are taling about WinWord world.

> > You have apparently no idea between input and font encoding.
>
> I only mentioned UTF-8 with regard to input, so you are assuming
> too much.

You mentioned *fontconfig* which is font encoding, and has nothing
whatsoever to do with inputenc. I don't assume too much.

> The inputenc hack only gets you so far.  I tried to go this way, and

Agreed. Improvements are welcome, please help and fix the
shortcomings.

> > > sorts out the awful font support, so you can use standard
> > > freetype-registered fonts, again without the pain.  Result: a
> > > document you can actually read in the editor!
> >
> > Argg, PLEASE STOP THAT RUBBISH!!!!
>
> What you are calling "rubbish" is not in any way false.  It's given

It *IS* wrong.
You are stating that "using freetype-registered fonts makes a document
readable by the editor". Sorry this is rediculous.
- different fonts might register themselves under different names
  to fontconfig
- fonts might not be available her or there and migh tnot be embedded
  in the pdf

DEK wrote his own font loading mechanism because he wanted to be sure
that docuemtns *can* be typeset also on any other machine, and that
works.
If you use xetex that might work, or might not work, or might work
but you are missing suddently some characters
(there is for example a version of the palatino fonts with cyrillic
characters, and a version without cyrillic characters, some systems
have these *enriched* fonts and don't embedd them properly. THen,
suddenly, on the target system, characters disappear. Is THIS
the way you want to typeset documetns?)

I repeat: RUBBISH.

> Well I thought the jury was still out on which was the better solution.

Most people I know in the TeX community are seeing the real future with
luatex.

Best wishes

Norbert
MARYTAVY (n.)
A person to whom, under dire injunctions of silence, you tell a secret
which you wish to be fare more widely known.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff