Make Unicode bugs release critical?

On pe, 2011-02-11 at 10:05 +0100, Vincent Fourmond wrote:
> On 11/02/11 09:52, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> > Le vendredi 11 février 2011 à 09:47 +0100, Adam Borowski a écrit :
> >> I'd say there should be no place in Debian in 2011 for software that can't
> >> do UTF-8, especially if near-identical forks exist.
> >
> > That would make a nice addition to the policy, wouldn’t it?
>
>   So long as it is not a MUST, else I have a feeling we'll find many
> many packages RC...
>
>   That aside, I agree with this idea.

A release goal or release requirement might be another way of achieving
this.

However, I'm curious: is there a lot of software that is broken with
Unicode, particularly with the UTF-8 encoding? I can't remember anything
much in recent times.

The first Unicode standard was published in 1991. That's twenty years
ago. Any software that processes text at all and is incapable of dealing
with UTF-8 should be considered with extreme suspicion. Making all such
bugs be release critical (which includes the notion that release
managers may ignore the bug in particular cases) sounds like a good way
to get things under control.

--
Blog/wiki/website hosting with ikiwiki (free for free software):
http://www.branchable.com/