Re: Make Unicode bugs release critical?

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 11:14:42AM +0100, Miroslav Kure wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 09:37:54AM +0000, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
> >
> > However, I'm curious: is there a lot of software that is broken with
> > Unicode, particularly with the UTF-8 encoding? I can't remember anything
> > much in recent times.
>
> Mostly it is just the old stuff like
>  - eterm, aterm
>  - elvis
>  - X tools from the basic package (xman, xmessage, xmore, ...)
>  - TeX without additional packages

XeTeX and XeLaTeX allow native UTF-8 input.  Should be made the
default, IMO, given how obsolete and broken the "standard" TeX
encodings are.  Being able to write in actual text rather than
a lot of illegible incantations was a major revelation, and it's
a bit sad it was in that situation in the first place.  It also
sorts out the awful font support, so you can use standard
freetype-registered fonts, again without the pain.  Result: a
document you can actually read in the editor!

IMO all those broken terminal emulators, editors and tools should
be put in the bin.  There are plenty of non-broken replacements, so
why keep them around to bitrot even further?  It's not like it's
going to cause massive inconvenience--they are long obsolete.

Regards,
Roger

--
  .''`.  Roger Leigh