Re: Why is help so hard to find?

Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> writes:

> Completely agreed. The focus of dependency based boot is correctness.
> The old system with static start/stop priorities was a pain to maintain and
> actually had many bugs which were effectively impossible to change, because
> changing the priority of *one* package can lead to a domino effect of required
> changes to a *lot* of packages. With the dependency based system only a single
> package needs to be fixed.
>
> And to re-iterate what has already been said: if you do find scenarios where the
> ordering is incorrect, please *do* file bugs. Such bugs are valuable.
> Fixing incorrect orderings is actually quite simple now.

Although I do agree with the improved simplicity, I do not agree that
*all* incorrect orderings are simple to fix (or necessarily package
bugs).  Unfortunately, there are some packages which require system
dependent ordering.  The most obvious example is the set packages
modifying the block device layers.  Do you run LVM on top of LUKS on top
of MD, or was it the other way round?

Bjørn